CRITERIA OF ADMISSIBILITY
Each year the Association for Canadian and Quebec Literatures (ACQL) awards two prestigious prizes in honour of Gabrielle Roy, one in English and one in French, for literary criticism produced in Canada (see a.) published within the designated calendar year.
a. scholarship (including but not limited to academic monographs, autocriticism, and critical anthologies) that engages with writing in English and in French produced in Canada, including in Québec or in Franco-Canadian communities, and by Indigenous writers of all communities (First Nations, Métis and Inuit), including particular authors, themes, literary movements, historical periods, genres, and theoretical approaches;
b. literary biographies of Canadian authors (see a.) and anthologies which comprise a critical dimension, as well as scholarly editions;
c. critical works of comparative literature, if the local content (see a.) is equal to or higher than the foreign content;
d. individual or collective works of literary criticism that meet one of the above criteria.
a. publications by critics or authors that are fiction, poetry, or creative non-fiction;
b. didactic publications (manuals intended for teachers and professors);
c. publications by authors on writing;
d. new editions of works that have been previously published including translations), or critical collections that include articles that have already been published elsewhere, except if the material already published is significantly revised and augmented, so as to effectively form a new, coherent, and integrated critical work;
e. special issues of journals;
f. reference materials.
Criteria of Evaluation
1. critical and theoretical innovativeness of the publication;
2. importance of its contribution toscholarship on literatures produced in Canada (see a.)
4. quality and readability of the writing;
5. quality of the presentation;
1. Books must be nominated and sent by the publisher, not the author or editor(s); four copies of each publication must be sent to the jury chair by January 31.
2. The Prize (monetary sum, certificate, and medal kept for one year) will be given in May at the annual conference of the ACQL during the Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities.